Author Topic: FlexRAID Standards Beta 1  (Read 48957 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FlexRAID Standards Beta 1
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 10:51:45 pm »
This is the correct behavior. The new RAID disk is now 224GB (expanded from 149GB). However, the partition you created is still 149GB.
You need to use the Windows Disk Manager to expand the partition to use the full disk. It is very easy to do. You can even shrink the partition too.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
If you look at the disk manager in the screen shot, right side of the image, its large so scroll across... you'll see that I can't as its already 'expanded'.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:18 pm »
If it expanded then just refresh Explorer to reflect of the change. Explorer should show whatever the Windows Disk Manager is showing.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »
Nope it hasn't, I managed to shrink the volume to see if that would make any difference and its done it in explorer (now down to 90GB volume) but its still showing the maximum in disk manager... I can't expand though, either using disk manager or disk part; both indicate all space used.

I might have to try redoing it from scratch but its odd that it has done this... All I did was:

Create the Raid 5 array using 3 drives
Expand the Raid 5 array to four drives by migrating to a new raid5 and selecting migrate from the options as well as adding the new drive
after it completed, tried to expand but it wouldn't as it was saying it was full...

Is that the correct process?

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 01:08:01 am »
Right so redid it again, started with 2 x 3TB drives and single 80GB drive.  Creating the raid 5 array is fine and gives a total of 149GB after formatting, no problems there.  Migrating to a four drive array has the same trouble as above, it completes fine, starts fine BUT Windows Explorer reports 149GB yet Disk Manager reports the full expanded size of 223GB.  I have no options to enable it to expand any further so there is something amiss.

Will now try a replacement drive from the 80GB to the 1TB and see what happens.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:42 pm »
Ok so it completed the disk swap.  Disk Management now shows 2713.24GB split in to three bits of which one is assigned the drive letter from before the swap but is now RAW and the other two are unformatted...

Basically, something has gone severely wrong in this... expansion from three disks to four appears to confuse windows to the point that it doesn't know it has to expand the volume when it does BUT the drive is still accessible and formatted. Swapping for a much bigger drive caused the trouble above which has caused all data to be 'lost' from the array, but also not worked right as it should have approximately 1397GB in space, but has almost double that....

Are you able to describe the exact steps to expand an array and then swap out a drive as I don't believe I have done anything wrong.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:48 pm »
@Benoire
Volume expansion is outside of sRAID. What I mean by this is that sRAID has no influence onto Windows. If Disk Management sees the right volume size but Explorer doesn't, then it is a bug that needs further investigation. I would love to remote into your system to see what might be happening.

I am not fully understanding the disk swap part of your comments. Did you fail and try to restore a disk into another one? Swapping without restoring is just that a swap. Your array will then be missing a chunk of its data set and the disk swapped in will have invalid data. You are basically corrupting your array doing that.
Also, screenshots will also help in fully understanding what you are seeing.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »
Morning Brahim,

Sorry, swapping was a quick, but poorly descriptive way of saying, 'manually fail drive, restore in to new drive but bigger'.  I played with swapping at first and realised that it didn't do what I expected so failed a drive and then restored.  Is that the right method of changing a disk that hasn't failed by itself?

I'll re-write what I did in a little more detail:

1) registered drives 1 to 5 as DRU1 - DRU5; drive 0 is the boot drive;
2) created a raid 5 array with stripe size of 256Kb and rotation level 6; this doesn't matter for the array itself but put there for completeness;
3) Added DRU1 (3tb WD Red), DRU2 (3TB WD Green), DRU 4 (80GB Hitachi);
4) Start array with option 1 from the menu as this is the quickest way;
5) Enter disk manager and initialise the disk and format as NTFS; final format shows 149GB which is correct for a raid 5 with smallest disk of 74GB.

At this point the array is working fine, I can add/delete files and do what ever... Works well.

Now this is the bit that seems to mess up... I now want to change the 80GB drive for a 500GB drive.

6) Using the configuration override feature, I manually fail DRU4 and out the array in to a degraded state;
7) Using the restore button, I select DRU4 and then choose to swap it to DRU5.  The array goes offline/online depending on choice and rebuilds array using DRU5 (500GB).  Completes ok a few hours later;
8) Disk Manager now shows the full size (maybe, seems a bit screwy) of the array but instead of showing only 149GB filled it shows the entire array as being occupied;
9) Windows Explorer shows the drive as being accessible again as the array is started but with a size of 149GB - discrepancy between Disk Manager and Windows Explorer;

Now I can try to do it the other way and keep DRU1, DRU2 & DRU4 and the expand the array to include DRU5 but again Windows Explorer and Disk manager show different sizes, but any data on drive is still accessible.  If I then proceed to change the 80GB drive to the 1TB (DRU3) using the restore function, it really messes up and I end up with 3 blocks of near enough 900GB on the expanded drive.

I'm just doing another expansion on a new array, but this time NOT using the 80GB drive... Will see how that goes.

I'll set up a teamviewer session for you so you can remote in and play.. I'm not using the array at the moment apart from testing scenarios so if it helps you to get in and play on another machine that's fine.  Its up 24/7 and is an SM x8DTE with Xeon L5630 with 8GB DDR3 Rdimms, 2 x LSI 9211-8i's & 2 TBS6981 DVB-S2 tuner cards.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 03:22:46 pm »
7) Using the restore button, I select DRU4 and then choose to swap it to DRU5. 
If I then proceed to change the 80GB drive to the 1TB (DRU3) using the restore function, it really messes up and I end up with 3 blocks of near enough 900GB on the expanded drive.
You lost me with the above statements.
If the 80GB (DRU4) was replaced with a 500GB, how are you again trying to replace it with a 1TB disk.

PM me the Teamviewer info and I will remote in later today.

Thanks.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:55 pm »
7) Press restore button
8) wait for screen to come up
9) select DRU5 as the replacement drive

This is not a swap as in fail drive and then right click 'swap' but following the restore button prompts.

When changing the 80GB to 1TB, that is AFTER the expansion of the array from three (sRAID5_1) to four drives (sRAID5_2); so we have

1) three drives DRU1 (3tb), DRU2 (3tB), DRU4 (80GB)
2) Migrate the array to a four drive setup:
a) create new array sRAID5_2 with migrate option selected
b) Set stripe and rotation same as sRAID5_1 (3 disk array) - I presume stripe and rotation should remain the same when you migrate or can you change it to reflect the new drive parameters?
c) Add DRU1, DRU2, DRU4 from the sRAID5_1 array and then add DRU5 (500GB)
3) After the above we have a four drive array; now I run the restore command after manually failing DRU 4 to change the disk out for DRU3.

Does that make more sense?

When you log in, you can wipe the array and start from scratch but I would recommend utilising the 80GB drive as part of the initial setup as that will give you the flexibility to both expand the array and change a drive to a larger size.

Edit: Did you get the PM for teamviewer?  I can't see it in my sent pms
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:51:15 pm by Benoire »

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »
Rightio, sorry Brahim, I haven't managed to recreate the errors that I was getting so I'm now setting up a 931GB raid 5 array for proper formal testing, I'll keep this stable here until you release a new version that needs testing again.

Out of interest, why does restoring data in to a new drive have around 130MB/s where as migrating from 3 drives to 4 only have around 50MB/s?  Should it not be faster?

EDIT: For completeness, the stripe size is set to 256KB and the parity rotation to 6 in all cases so the basic settings are the same.

EDIT2: So the total time to expand using a 1TB drive was 6 hours and 13 minutes, compared to 3 hours for a drive replacement.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:52:28 am by Benoire »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:34 am »
Migration is slower because the same disks are being read from and written to. The migration you did is in fact an in situ RAID transformation.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:22 pm »
Ok, I did wonder.  Is there anyway I can do an expansion that isn't a in situ raid transformation?

Also, I now cannot stop the array, the following errors are coming up in the webgui log.  OS Caching IS disabled.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:09 pm »
Right, so now I cannot start the array, the options are greyed out even after resetting.

If you teamviewer in you'll need to use waxery\administrator as the login now.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2016, 08:31:51 pm »
Ok, I did wonder.  Is there anyway I can do an expansion that isn't a in situ raid transformation?

Also, I now cannot stop the array, the following errors are coming up in the webgui log.  OS Caching IS disabled.

An expansion is by definition an in situ migration. With distributed parity all disks are involved whereas in tRAID, only the parity disk(s) and the expansion disks are involved.
The only way to avoid an in situ operation is by migrating to a totally new set of disks.