Author Topic: FlexRAID Standards Beta 1  (Read 39587 times)

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
Re: FlexRAID Standards Beta 1
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2016, 08:35:01 pm »
Ok, fair enough, so the speeds will be much slower then no matter what (obviously related to the speed of the medium, SSDs would be much quicker I presume)?

Array is working again now, not sure what I did but the errors no longer come up.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2016, 09:05:23 pm »
Yeah, SSDs and any disk with low latency will do much better. Whenever disks must read and write at various positions, you end up with random reads/writes, which increases latency and reduces throughput.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 10:50:51 pm »
Hi Brahim, another post... This time all positive :-)

I've been using my random sized disc raid 5 array (don't care about space at this point as its still testing) and its all going pretty good :-)  I'm particularly happy with the multiple volumes on one array, something that Synology cannot do so kudos.

So with all this in mind, is there anything I need to do to test?  I've done the build / migrate (expand) / Change ; Build / Change ; Build / Change / Migrate to death now and apart from the early issues, its working great now.  I'm now on the stable run of just using it and wanted to know if you had a particular set of tests you want me to undertake?

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 02:23:11 am »
Right, sorry.  So trying to get a vSphere iSCSI connection going, but neither Starwind OR MS iSCSI target can create image files on the array, errors are happening. Have narrowed it down to these functions:

Sequential Write Optimization (SWO)
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)

When both are set to 'True', you cannot create an image on the array using either software.  If only one of them is set to true or there both set to false then iSCSI images can be created fine and attached as expected.  VHDX images appear to crash the server when created on the array as they function fine when created on the C: drive.

Is the SWO/TCQ something you knew about?  What about VHDXs?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:23 am »
Compatibility issues are expected between certain RAID optimizations and certain applications. This has to do with the fact that certain applications try to be clever, make certain assumptions, and do things in non-portal ways.

The task at hand is in documenting those issues and have users remember when to disable and enable what.

So, so far, we know that formatting needs TCQ and SWO disabled - and now, it is also required for iSCSI image creation.

Pending the next release, I would say just keep using the array. Maybe try to create a hybrid RAID again and see how manually managing the piece feels after a while (whether is cumbersome or whether it is something an advanced user can settle into).

Thanks.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »
Compatibility issues are expected between certain RAID optimizations and certain applications. This has to do with the fact that certain applications try to be clever, make certain assumptions, and do things in non-portal ways.

The task at hand is in documenting those issues and have users remember when to disable and enable what.

So, so far, we know that formatting needs TCQ and SWO disabled - and now, it is also required for iSCSI image creation.

Pending the next release, I would say just keep using the array. Maybe try to create a hybrid RAID again and see how manually managing the piece feels after a while (whether is cumbersome or whether it is something an advanced user can settle into).

Thanks.

Ok, out of SWO & TCQ, which is the better one to keep turned on in your experience? I wonder if this was what was affecting my tRAID experience when I tried to get iSCSI images to work.

Do you have an ETA for the next release?  I'd like to try and give it some time to use as a daily driver but also I want to play with the Hybrid Raid again as you've asked, as that was really quite awkward to setup effectively.... I had to run a spreadsheet to keep track of the various 'slices' & sizes assigned. 

From my initial playing around, I think Hybrid Raid is something that the system should really control as much as it can as tracking where every slice has to go will become a bit more difficult, especially if you start mixing in expansions (migrations).  Certainly, the system would be more effective at calculating the best available space and tracking the slice sizes than a user. From most other NAS' Hybrid Raids appear to be a set and forget; you select your drives, create your disk group / Hybrid Raid, create the volume, eat pie. 

For the advanced user, it probably would be good to control the stripe size etc. but for all others, have the stripe size calculated based on the number of disks attached to the raid etc.  I would also not have the user create the Raid1/5 arrays separately but simply show Hybrid Raid with the normal verify, verify+ etc. buttons... Leave the Raid 1/5 choice to the system but show it on the UoR screen once the raid is formed beside the dropped column, similar to how you can see which drives are attached to which MD level in Linux.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 01:44:01 pm »
Morning Brahim,

Are you intending to release a new version of sRAID for testing?  I've now had around 6 days of consistent performance from my raid 5 setup; performance is fine due to OS caching being off and as the raid is made up of some older drives, max speed is also lower than it could be if I was running WD Reds completely.  Average copy speed is 80-100MB/s depending on drive.  iSCSI using starwind works well, but as before VHDX files refuse to create and can crash the machine.  NFS server on Windows Server 2012 r2 is terrible, but I'm not sure whether that is due to an NFS setup error on my behalf or just general poor performance from that element of Windows Server.

I wanted to rebuild back in to a hybrid raid now I've given Raid 5 enough time but wanted to see if you where close to a new release as that would make more sense from a testing perspective.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 02:27:18 am »
What sort of write performance should I get running Raid 5 arrays if I was running 3x  WD Red 3TB drives that are capable of 145MB/s from the host?  I've been getting about 88MB/s from the array with mixed drives but with synologies hybrid raid implementation with the same drives I was maxing out the gigabit Ethernet connection on the same hardware.

Offline Hammerfest

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2016, 10:39:50 am »
7 month check-in

any news on a pulse with Standards?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
7 month check-in

any news on a pulse with Standards?
We are pushing back the release of sRAID for the time being. This is to re-prioritize RAID-F and tRAID.
We will revisit sRAID after the next major releases of the existing products.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 03:32:58 am »
Just thought I'd post back in here, I migrated back to Synologies DSM but for ease and integration with my active directory (and vsphere setup) I'm still interested in standards, especially if you've worked on hybrid raid setups so it is as streamlined as DSM.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:51 am »
Standards did get some major improvements before my hiatus. Work won't resume though till the Spring.
Will update once the next beta release is ready.

Offline Hammerfest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 06:02:37 pm »
Saw your post on getting to t/f RAID sometime soon, here's letting ya know people are still looking forward to a Standards update!

~TY

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 03:26:05 am »
FYI, work on FlexRAID Standards will resume Spring 2018. The core engine and functionality is pretty much complete. The only thing pending is a complete redesign of the UI for easy management.
The current focus is on modernizing both tRAID and RAID-F. Work on FlexRAID Standards will resume once that's done.
Thanks to all those that tested the initial beta.