Author Topic: FlexRAID Standards Hybrid RAID  (Read 12232 times)

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
Re: FlexRAID Standards Hybrid RAID
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 12:46:53 pm »
Morning Brahim, well its morning in New Zealand now anyway!

I'll try to restrain my typing...

Yes, I like the idea of Hybrid Raid.  I appreciate its not a purer version of raid and its certainly not clean, I think it has immense flexibility for those that are looking at block storage with different drive sizes, I think that if you implement a cruise control I think it should have two options, simple and advanced.  Simple mode does everything for you, using the best method to establish space and maximum speed, but only shows the hybrid raid as the only raid type once built.  Advanced mode allows the user to define parameters themselves, while still having the system suggest the best way forward but shows the hybrid raid as the main container with the different Raid 1 & 5 options as expandable arrows below it; see the attached pic!Morning Brahim, well its morning in New Zealand now anyway!

I'll try to restrain my typing...

Yes, I like the idea of Hybrid Raid.  I appreciate its not a purer version of raid and its certainly not clean, I think it has immense flexibility for those that are looking at block storage with different drive sizes, I think that if you implement a cruise control I think it should have two options, simple and advanced.  Simple mode does everything for you, using the best method to establish space and maximum speed, but only shows the hybrid raid as the only raid type once built.  Advanced mode allows the user to define parameters themselves, while still having the system suggest the best way forward but shows the hybrid raid as the main container with the different Raid 1 & 5 options as expandable arrows below it; see the attached text doc.

I now have a much clearer understanding of Raid so thanks, it is appreciated.

If you can create a hybrid raid manager and build in a cruise control process to do this for the user then you will have a very powerful system for raid in windows...

Finally, some other questions :-)

1) If you have to move the drives to another system, is the order of the drives important?  I found that Synology messes up if you switch the drive order around.
2) Is there any form of fingerprint created on the drive so that sRAID knows what the drives are and how they link together or would it require a configuration export from the sRaid interface?
3) Unlike tRAID, any discs using an sRAID raid would not be readable outside of the array?
4) What would you need to be able to diagnose the VHDX problem when creating them on the arrays?  It must be linked to the NZFS driver as it occurs on both tRAID and now sRAID.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:14:06 pm by Benoire »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »
1. The disk order is not important as disks are finger printed.

2. As above.

3. Accessing sRAID disks outside of their arrays all depends of which RAID we are talking about. Generally though, it is not supported in RAIDs that stripe data like RAID 5/6/X.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 02:17:35 pm »
Hi

Was just thinking about the hybrid raid option again (will be rebuilding the server this weekend as I've now backed up the data) and wondered if you where to make 'Hybrid Raid' as a true option from the raid selections, then could you please add the verify and verify+ to the options as right now, the custom hybrid raid approach requires you to set the tasks for each Raid 1/5 layer.

Chris

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 02:11:21 am »
Hi

So, I've finally got my new motherboard and the system is running virtualised in vSphere 6.  Upon adding a new Raw slice to a raw drive, sometimes the completing action bar doesn't stop and it only goes away if you close the tab and re-open it.  This is with Internet Explorer 11 on Server 2012 R2, unknown if it happens using other browsers and cannot find a pattern to its timing.

Just setting up the hybrid raid now, so will see how it performs.. but some form of cruise control a la SHR setup would be awesome for those that need it.

EDIT: I apologise, this consistently happens when creating a raw slice from a raw drive, only way to stop is to close tab, however action has completed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:18:52 am by Benoire »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:22 am »
Hi

So, I've finally got my new motherboard and the system is running virtualised in vSphere 6.  Upon adding a new Raw slice to a raw drive, sometimes the completing action bar doesn't stop and it only goes away if you close the tab and re-open it.  This is with Internet Explorer 11 on Server 2012 R2, unknown if it happens using other browsers and cannot find a pattern to its timing.

Just setting up the hybrid raid now, so will see how it performs.. but some form of cruise control a la SHR setup would be awesome for those that need it.

EDIT: I apologise, this consistently happens when creating a raw slice from a raw drive, only way to stop is to close tab, however action has completed.

Got screenshots?

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »
yeah here we go, still running the progress bar 10 minutes later.  If I close the tab then it won't come back because its actually completed the activity as soon as I click create.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:39:04 pm by Benoire »

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:49 pm »
Hi Brahim.

Not sure if I have done something wrong, but I recreated the array to maximise drive usage and have the following setup:

Drive Name   Drive Size   Raid Partition   Raid Style   Raid Size   Lost as parity
DRU1              2794.39   MD0                           5   931.39   931.39
                              MD1                           1   1471.77   1471.77
                              MD2                           5   391.23   391.23
DRU2              2794.39   MD0                           5   931.39   
                              MD1                           1   1471.77   
                              MD2                           5   391.23   
DRU3               931.39   MD0                           5   931.39   
DRU4               465.64   MD2                           5   391.23   
                              MD3                           1   74.41   74.41
DRU5                 74.41   MD3                           1   74.41   

7060.22                                 7060.22   2868.8

In doing so, I get 4 raid arrays (rMD0-rMD3) which I'm trying to add to a jbod span.  Unfortunately, I can add rMD0, rM2 and rMD3 but not rMD1; its not there on the list.  I've attached a screen shot for this.

Is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong?

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 04:49:56 am »
Do I need to initialise each individual raid 1 and 5 array before starting the jbod'd raid?  I'm getting formatting errors and CRC errors once I've created...

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 05:01:40 am »
Right trying to sort this out again so deleting all of the disk slices etc.  trying to delete them brings up the error in the screenshot.  This happens constantly until refreshed that left hand nav and then you can delete a single disk slice, but then the issue reappears until refresh etc.. Continues until all slices are gone.

EDIT: appears that I can only delete (in my case) the top MDx disk slice, i.e. MD0 before MD1 and MD2.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 11:37:30 pm »
So I've managed to rebuild the array but again I can't add one of the sub-raid types, just not there in the list.... Didn't do anything different to the other times, but this time it was rMD0, not rMD1!  If its of any use, the system is Windows Server 2012 R2 with 4GB & 4 vCPUs (Xeon L5630) in vSphere with a passed through SAS controller.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 02:59:24 am »
Ok another question, why do we have to stop the array to add any more UoR?  Are we able to keep the array running and do a live expansion?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:40 am »
Hey Benoire, sorry for being MIA right now (been traveling a lot).
I will go over in detail over your questions sometimes tomorrow. Maybe, we can also setup a skype session to get the Q&A going much faster.
Later.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:49 pm »
Hey Brahim,

No worries about MIA it is Christmas after all!

I dropped the final slice from the config which was the 80GB drive and that worked fine, so I've now got what I've called slices (across the four drives) MD0-MD2 in the jbod array and its running fine.

I'm not going to be around that much at the moment due to the glorious weather in the southern hemisphere (currently 24 degrees, sunny and its only 10am!) so how about I create a list of questions and what I see as improvements, amend my post in the main release sticky thread and you can look at them there?  So far, I've done Raid 1, Raid 5, Jbod (with Raid arrays) and they've worked fine apart from an odd issue... which I might try again and see if I can recreate it.

Have a great holiday,

Chris

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 08:29:00 pm »
@Brahim

I'm trying to recreate the array, but this time maximising space by using KBs rather than GBs.  If I try and enter a large number in KBs in the disk slice section it won't let me complete.

See attached image.  This should be a slice that is the same as a 1TB drive (1.0002E+12 bytes divided by 1024 to get in to KB).

Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 08:37:05 pm »
Indeed. You are supposed to use the proper measure based on the size of disk you are working with.

Using KB is not useful and is there mainly for niche testing. The realistic minimum is a measure in MB. Even then, you should really be creating slices in GB.