Author Topic: Specs of Sans Digital TowerRaid TR5M+B power supply fan?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline amos

• View Profile
Specs of Sans Digital TowerRaid TR5M+B power supply fan?
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:25 pm »
Hello,

I have a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5M+B (http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid/tr5mb.html) with a very noisy POWER SUPPLY cooling fan (NOT the case fan).

Not being so much of a hardware person (I'm more of a software guy), I have trouble opening the power supply to replace the fan, but before I find someone who can help me to do that I'd like to try to get my hands on the best replacement fan I can get (quietest and most durable).

For this I need to know the specs of this fan (diameter, thickness, power requirements?).

Does anyone know what I should look for?

I already submitted a question to Sans Digital via their web site but so far haven't received a response.

Thanks very much.

Offline KingfisherUK

• View Profile
Re: Specs of Sans Digital TowerRaid TR5M+B power supply fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:54 am »
Personally, I would strip down the PSU and find out what fan is in it and get the specs from that. Yes, it means an extra step but it is the safest option. If you are lucky, you may be able to see the label on the back of the fan without opening it up too far. Even just the model number would be enough to track down the specs.

Whilst fans may seem the same (diameter, thickness, voltage etc.) they can have wildly varying properties. Regardless of any other spec, airflow is the key as the fan will more than likely have been "chosen" primarily on how much hot air it can shift. Replace it with a fan that moves less air and you run the risk of overheating.

Offline amos

• View Profile
Re: Specs of Sans Digital TowerRaid TR5M+B power supply fan?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:11:08 am »
Thanks very much. I'll drop it off with an expert friend who has less than two left hands so he can open it and tell me what's needed ;)