Author Topic: Best 4-port 6Gbps 4x PCI Express SATA controller for the $$$  (Read 33176 times)

Offline skid

• View Profile
Re: Best 4-port 6Gbps 4x PCI Express SATA controller for the $$$
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
Could anyone do me a big favor and post the length of your m1015 card?  I can't seem to find it online anywhere.
I'm looking to buy one but am limited to 185mm card length (about 7.2").  Using this case: http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=480&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64&g=f

Thanks!

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: Best 4-port 6Gbps 4x PCI Express SATA controller for the $$$
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »
Hi skid,

After looking at a picture and measuring I would say it should work. Should be about 1-3 cm shorter than 18,5 com.
Hope someone can give you the exact length.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016

Offline skid

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »
Welp. it fit with about 3/4" to spare.  just in case anyone else has size restraints...

I flashed the M1015 to LSI9211-IT mode using this guide: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files/

Like other people, I ran into the PAL error problem when trying to run sas2flsh.  Tried it on my non-UEFI, BIOS based system and it worked fine.

Offline fiosraid

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 09:25:15 pm »

Offline Methanoid

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
Might be covered elsewhere because I know many SAS/RAID controllers don't play well with UEFI BIOS machines...... I could not flash my IBM M1015 into IT mode on an ASUS Maximum IV Gene-Z/Gen 3.  The mobo wouldn't even see the card, thought the card was dead.  Tried it in an old Asus P5B-VM SE and all went perfectly at first attempt.

I am assuming that it is to do with the issue that the BIOS on the M1015 didn't play well with UEFI BIOS in the Maximus IV Gene Mobo.  I didn't then try the card back in the UEFI mobo once I had flashed into IT mode without the card's bios option, i.e. a dumb controller..... but that would only be useful if I then wanted to flash the card back from IT mode into original RAID mode.....

.... as for brackets - most indeed come without a bracket, you can just screw on another bracket from another low profile card, BUT remember that most low profile cards have some form of socket connector at the rear, and it is usually to these sockets that the bracket attaches (e.g. a USB card, serial, etc).  You need a bracket with two 'lugs/prongs' that allow screw attachment to the card itself.  Just look at a picture carefully on EBAY and you will see what I mean.  Brackets are therefore not very common.  Good use of strong cable ties on the SAS cables should help keep the card seated firmly and thereby allow safe(r) use of a non-bracket card.

Cheers
Alex

For UEFI boards you can flash the last stage (the actual flash) with Shellx64.efi booted from your UEFI BIOS and then execute SASFlash.EFI with same options..Worked for me!

Offline dark_slayer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:03 am »
Sorry I know this is an old topic, but this info should be saved. Big thanks falstaff and hugenbdd

I do not remember. Probably not, only click "save".
Note, there is no "\" (backslash) before "=sat"

I was taking them from one of the properties windows originally.  Here it capitalises everything

I had been here before and tried several permutations of }\=sat,auto and just sat as well as no backslash. It wasn't until I finally read hugenbdd's post and realized that I was capitalizing everything. It didn't occur to me that capitalization would matter, but changed to lowercase and voila

With the popularity of the M1015 flashed to IT mode, hopefully a three-person confirmation on the device type mappings can help others