Author Topic: Sharing network pool  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Raven

• View Profile
Sharing network pool
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »
Hi there,

Hope you can help me with the following, I setup Flexraid to use my D and E drive as a storage pool. Locally it's working fine but when I share the new flexraid volume it also works fine till I reboot, then the share is lost and I need to share it again.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
I use Windows 7

Offline jasonwc

• View Profile
Re: Sharing network pool
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »
Can you clarify something? Is the problem that when you reboot the client machine it can no longer view the share, or that when you reboot the server (the machine running FlexRAID), you can no longer view the share on the client?

If it's the latter, the issue is not that the share is disappearing, but rather that FlexRAID does not autostart the storage pool by default. You have to access FlexRAID's global settings from the web interface (click the main button, and then settings) and set a positive delay for autostart. The delay is expressed in milliseconds, so 1000 would be a 1 second delay. The default setting, 0, disables autostart.

However, this wouldn't explain why  the storage pool still works on the server after the server reboots. If the problem occurs when you restart the client, it's probably something network related, but I'm not sure what.
Norco RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Case (24 Hotswap Bays) | Asus P8B Workstation Motherboard (four PCI-E 16x slots @ 8x/8x/4x/4x and dual 82574L Intel server NICs) | Core i3-2100 | Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Controller | Corsair TX650v2 PSU | Currently 16 TB array, 2 TB parity | WHS 2011

Offline Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »
No sorry let me explain it better.

Flexraid is currently setup as a storage pool for me D and E drive. It's also configured that when I reboot the server the storage pool will become active again. However if I share the new 'volume' (drive letter F) then my client PC is able to access it untill I reboot the server then the server 'forgot' that I had the F drive shared. I can share it manually again and then it's working again but obviously I don't want it like that. I just want that when I reboot the server, that the F drive will be shared. To be clear Flexraid is starting the storage pool correctly as I already found that option in the settings.

Offline jasonwc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had this issue personally but I think this should solve your issue:

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/04/03/flexraid-preference-settings/

"If you define shares off your virtual drive (i.e., if you share the virtual drive or any of its sub-folder), there is a current limitation is that those shares are not remembered between reboots. You can define your shares as preference settings and FlexRAID will ensure to automatically re-establish them on reboot. Below are examples of how to define those shares."

The wiki has examples to get you started.
Norco RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Case (24 Hotswap Bays) | Asus P8B Workstation Motherboard (four PCI-E 16x slots @ 8x/8x/4x/4x and dual 82574L Intel server NICs) | Core i3-2100 | Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Controller | Corsair TX650v2 PSU | Currently 16 TB array, 2 TB parity | WHS 2011

Offline Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:04 am »
aaah I nice, cool thanks, I will give it a try later on.

Offline Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:12 am »
Just had the time to play around with this and got it working now, big thanks :)