Author Topic: WARNING: S.M.A.R.T monitoring on Samsung F4 EcoGreen drives (HD155UI, HD204UI)  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
*** Using FlexRAID's S.M.A.R.T drive monitoring feature with Samsung F4 EcoGreen drives (HD155UI, HD204UI and HD204UI/JP) may result in data loss ***

This is not FlexRAID specific and you must update the firmware of the drives listed above to avoid the issue.

Read here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks

Firmware updates (I have decided to host these): Samsung F4EG HD204UI/HD155UI firmware For DOS and Samsung F4EG HD204UI/JP firmware For DOS

For the convenience of FlexRAID users, I have created a bootable DOS CD-ROM image.
After booting from the image, you need to change to "D:\" (the A:\> prompt is the in memory DOS runtime).
The Samsung F4EG HD204UI/HD155UI firmware For DOS is under the folder F4EG (D:\F4EG).
The Samsung F4EG HD204UI/JP firmware For DOS is under the folder JP (D:\JP).

Bootable DOS ISO: http://download.openegg.org/mirror/SamsungDosFlash.iso
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:07:26 am by Brahim »

Offline Mysteriouskk

• View Profile
How do I update my drives with this .exe?

I'm using Windows Home Server 2011, and I get a "This version is not compatible with your version of windows"

Offline naeonline

• View Profile
The links each say "For DOS" in them.  You will need a DOS boot disk, boot to it and run the exe.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How do I update my drives with this .exe?

I'm using Windows Home Server 2011, and I get a "This version is not compatible with your version of windows"

See my updated post above.

Offline Mysteriouskk

• View Profile
Awesome, thanks!

Offline John.nelson

• View Profile
To bad that the numnuts at samsung did a bad system for updates. I have already updated my 204 disks for the file corrupt bug a long time ago and even after firmware update the disk still report the old firmware

Offline LilGator

• View Profile
FYI,

Update: According to Samsung Support, HD204UI drives manufactured December 2010 or later include the firmware patch (see smartmontools-support mailing list).