Author Topic: Rearranging data on my DRUs  (Read 1709 times)

Offline deusxanime

• View Profile
Rearranging data on my DRUs
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »
I have 4x2TB DRU + 2x2TB PPU and a storage pool originally setup to have auto-space-priority. Looking at my drives they are very fragmented and I think I'd rather keep things together as much as possible. Is there any problem with moving data around myself on the drives to clean it up? Can I just move everything where I want it and then rerun Update to get the parity right? Or would it be better to rebuild the FR from scratch after moving everything? I've already changed the pool to use auto-folder-priority.

Offline someone

• View Profile
Re: Rearranging data on my DRUs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »
Yes it's okay.  Just move them around and just do update.  That's what I do also.  I think the problem come in when you actually move/create folder though.  I believe if you move file into storage pool and the folder already exist in certain drive it won't go to other drive.  Well, I can't be certain as I do writing manually also and leave storage pool for reading only.

Offline deusxanime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:10:33 pm »
Well I would just be moving data directly between the data drives; I wouldn't use the pool "drive" at all for moving stuff around. Then I'd Update when done to fix up parity.

Probably be best to turn the pool off completely while I'm doing this? Then republish after so that it recreates directory structure in the pool properly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:12:13 pm by deusxanime »

Offline someone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:44:07 pm »
No, you don't have to turn the pool off.