Author Topic: A device attached to the system is not functioning  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Budje

• View Profile
A device attached to the system is not functioning
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »
I use a virtual Windows 2008R2 in hyper-v (server sits in domain); 4 disks are mounted to this system via direct pass.
3 disks as dataunit, 1 as PPU.

After creating a storagepool with snapshot raid with cruise control mode all goes okay.
The new storagespool shows as V in my explorer.
I can save files on it.

But when I try to change the ownership on a file or directory I got the error

On a 5th disk (not in flexraid), I am able to take ownership. So the problem only is on the storage pool.

What is wrong here, someone has a clue??
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:12:38 pm by Budje »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A device attached to the system is not functioning
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:09 pm »
The error pertains to an invalid owner. I.e., the user attempting to take ownership is not allowed to do so.

Offline Budje

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:28 am »
The error pertains to an invalid owner. I.e., the user attempting to take ownership is not allowed to do so.

The user is a domain administrator, so I doubt that? Also I can change the ownership from the other disk.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:53:06 am »
The user is a domain administrator, so I doubt that? Also I can change the ownership from the other disk.
Sure. I am not telling you FlexRAID is right in denying you that access. I was stating what the exception pertained to.
Now, did you have some of those drives in another system?
Sometimes drives pulled from other system have security identifier that could cause issues. For instance, the old owner could no longer be valid in the current system.

Take screenshots of the security tab of the affected folder and post it.

Offline Budje

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:18:05 am »
No the disks were not used in aonther system.
But now I deleted all volumes, created again some simple volumes and created a new Flexraid pool.
Now the error is "Acces is denied"...
I am logged in as domain\administrator, but Flexraid is creating the pool as owner = local\administrator , that's a little strange to me. Maybe that is part of the problem.

EDIT - logged in as local\admin, tried to change ownership, no difference, still error denied
EDIT2 - now the first error is back, with the device error  :-\

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:27:59 am by Budje »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:35 am »
Yeah, I do think trying to give ownership of the objects in question to a domain user is what is causing the issue given that FlexRAID is running under the local system account.

You have the option of running FlexRAID under a different user. My guess is, you will need to run FlexRAID under a domain account for it to have active directory access. That access is necessary to validate the user taking ownership.