Author Topic: Prebuying advice - PPU after creating DRU  (Read 1285 times)

Offline lewc

• View Profile
Prebuying advice - PPU after creating DRU
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:35 am »
Hi, Hopefully this is the right forum to post in, I didnt want to cross post but if its ok to do that let me know.

I am considering buying flexraid to install on my WHS 2011 server. I currently have 2 * 2TB drives with films etc on them, I am not too bothered about RAIDing them as its not the end of the world if I lose the hardware, however I am looking to get 2 more 2TB drives one to be used for backups and storing things that I would be wanting to protect with RAID (as well as backup offline).

My questions are,
  • can I installed FlexRaid and add the 2drives I currently have (with their data) into a Storage Pool, then at a later date add another 2 TB drive to the storage pool as a DRU?
  • can I then add another 2 TB drive and use that as a Parity drive for all 3 drives?
  • Finally could i add a 1tb and 300gb drive i have lying around, make that a Spanned DRU and add that which would also be covered by the single PPU

I think the whole process should be possible from what i have read but what i wanted to know is it possible to do this a stage at a time as I add more drives. Any instructions / pointers to tutorials would be greatfully received as hoping to purchase and configure it all asap

Thanks

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: Prebuying advice - PPU after creating DRU
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:52 am »
Hi
To add drives is possible. If it is not on a add basis you can always reconfigure the whole pool/raid over a night and the next morning start working with the new pool.
Yes you can span DRU's like in your example.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:51:01 am by b-earl »
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X11SCZ-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | i3-8300 | 16 GB DDR4 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on  250 GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 ssd
tRAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X10SLM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016 + tRAID

Offline lewc

• View Profile
Re: Prebuying advice - PPU after creating DRU
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:51 am »
Great so its sounds like the best plan is :

1. Build server pool with 2 drives
2. Add other drives and recreate pool with Parity drive

Any one spot any problems with that please let me know