Author Topic: Using a drive with data in SnapRAID  (Read 5219 times)

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »
So I am looking to put a 3TB in a SnapRAID pool which already has about 2TB of data. Will I lose or corrupt any data if I do so?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:32:11 pm by amarshonarbangla »

Offline frason

• View Profile
Re: Using an a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
You need to upgrade the PPU then as well, it needs to be equal to or larger than your largest DRU.

You won't lose or corrupt any data.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Re: Using an a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
You need to upgrade the PPU then as well, it needs to be equal to or larger than your largest DRU.

You won't lose or corrupt any data.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Lets say I already have a 3TB PPU and just adding this drive as another DRU. There won't be any problem correct?

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:05:07 am »
There is no problem with adding drives as DRU's to the raidpool.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Re: Sv: Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:56:10 am »
There is no problem with adding drives as DRU's to the raidpool.

Since you know your way around FlexRAID, I have a couple more questions for you. How do you mount and unmount a drive? How do you stop FlexRAID?

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:42:46 am »
With mount do you mean the pool or the drives? The Pool is started from the flexraid webui. If you are using linux look if you have mountmanager installed. And mount the drives with it. Then add them to the raid with flexraid and flexraid will do the rest of the mounting of the pool.
Stopping flexraid is done by stopping the flexraid service in windows it is done under the service manager and in linux you stop flexraid. Either by killing the command or if you have made a service of it by writing stop flexraid.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:45:34 am by b-earl »
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:14:58 am »
With mount do you mean the pool or the drives? The Pool is started from the flexraid webui. If you are using linux look if you have mountmanager installed. And mount the drives with it. Then add them to the raid with flexraid and flexraid will do the rest of the mounting of the pool.
Stopping flexraid is done by stopping the flexraid service in windows it is done under the service manager and in linux you stop flexraid. Either by killing the command or if you have made a service of it by writing stop flexraid.

I am talking about this guide here
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/07/05/process-for-expanding-snapshot-raid-dru-ppu-size/

It says to unmount and mount the drives from C:\Mount\Parity01. It's not clear as to what he means by this. Just delete what's inside that folder?

Then at Step# 2, it says to turn of FlexRAID service. How would I do that? From task manager?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:56:59 pm by amarshonarbangla »

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:37:34 pm »
I am talking about this guide here
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/07/05/process-for-expanding-snapshot-raid-dru-ppu-size/

It says to unmount and mount the drives from C:\Mount\Parity01. It's not clear as to what he means by this. Just delete what's inside that folder?

Then at Step# 2, it says to turn of FlexRAID service. How would I do that? From task manager?

Anyone? I need help with this.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:54 pm »
How to mount and unmount the drive in windows in a folder like in the example is perhaps described in th wiki otherwise try to google it. I have never done it so I can not help.

Flexraid is stopped by going to the windows service manager and there stopping the service "flexraid"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:12:58 pm by b-earl »

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:25:52 am »
How to mount and unmount the drive in windows in a folder like in the example is perhaps described in th wiki otherwise try to google it. I have never done it so I can not help.

Flexraid is stopped by going to the windows service manager and there stopping the service "flexraid"

Should I initialize and format a drive before adding it to Flexraid, or just add it without doing anything?

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:27:33 am »
Hi,
That depends, if there is data on it that you want to use you can just add it if you don't want to use it you can format it.
It must be found by flexraid, if it is not in the list of drives that can be found in flexraid, then put the drive online with the windows drivemanager.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:29:51 am by b-earl »

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 07:39:03 am »
Anyone? I need help with this.

It's done in the Computer Management snap-in.
Type in computer management in your start menu search box and it will come up. Inside is the Disk Manager where you can mount and unmount disks (basically, giving the disk a logical path - they don't have to be C: D: E: F: etc, you can mount to any path)

So it is a quick way to "trick" flexraid by swapping a physical disk into the same path as the prior disk.
FlexRAID expert/snapshot RAID/Storage Pool mode
Windows Server 2008 R2, 23 TB pool, Array1: 3TB redundancy, Array 2: 4TB redundancy, 11 drives total

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:34:43 am »
It's done in the Computer Management snap-in.
Type in computer management in your start menu search box and it will come up. Inside is the Disk Manager where you can mount and unmount disks (basically, giving the disk a logical path - they don't have to be C: D: E: F: etc, you can mount to any path)

So it is a quick way to "trick" flexraid by swapping a physical disk into the same path as the prior disk.

So when I unmount a drive and install a new drive, that new drive will have the same drive letter as the old one?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
So when I unmount a drive and install a new drive, that new drive will have the same drive letter as the old one?

A few things:
- Get the trial and spend a few days getting comfortable with it.
- FlexRAID requires a decent amount of computer knowledge to effectively use it. If you don't have that, FlexRAID might just not be for you as you will likely end up screwing things up and losing data inadvertently.

Ultimately, use some test drives and just start playing with FlexRAID. Don't use any drive with real data yet.
That simple exercise will answer many of the questions you have.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Re: Using a drive with data in SnapRAID
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 02:26:04 pm »
A few things:
- Get the trial and spend a few days getting comfortable with it.
- FlexRAID requires a decent amount of computer knowledge to effectively use it. If you don't have that, FlexRAID might just not be for you as you will likely end up screwing things up and losing data inadvertently.

Ultimately, use some test drives and just start playing with FlexRAID. Don't use any drive with real data yet.
That simple exercise will answer many of the questions you have.

I do know quite a bit about computers trust me. It's just that small things in the guides get confusing. For example in this guide
It tells to unmount the drive from C:\Mount\Parity01. Now how would I unmount a drive from a file location?