Author Topic: Drives Dropping? important fix for multi-bay eSata enclosure users!(San Digital)  (Read 12175 times)

Offline JazJon

• View Profile
I wanted to share an important fix for San Digital multi-bay eSata enclosure users! (also applies to some other general eSata Enclosures as well)

Both my San Digital TR5M-B and TR5M-PB 5-bay eSata enclosures would randomly DROP out of Windows when I was moving a lot of files around.  I've also seen drives disconnect/drop when 3rd party SMART monitoring is active and the drives are sitting idle.  The only way to get them back was to reboot the server.  (power cycling the enclosure didn't fix it)  Well it turns out there is a simple fix all along.  I wish I would have researched this more 12 months ago!  The below fix applies to the 4, 5, 8, etc bay enclosures

Here's the enclosure I use the most
http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-plus/tr5mbp.html

The fix:
http://www.sansdigital.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=190&func=view&catid=10&id=4250#4296

Problem / question: Currently the disk system is set up as just single pass through disks. Anytime there is extremely heavy I/O all the disks drop out and the controller cannot see them anymore. Restarting the TowerRAID system and unplugging the cables does not help, only a reboot of the server. This is getting frustrating as when all the drives were connected to a 3ware 9550sx-12 they never had an issue. Is there another HBA I can try to solve this issue? I do not want to use raid, just single disk pass through.

SOLVED
Turn off "Link State Power Management" under PCI Express in the power options menu.  (in Windows, control panel)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:24:21 pm by JazJon »

Offline craigap

• View Profile
Ran across this several months ago and this fix never worked for me. Replacing the RR622 card with anything else fixed it for me.

Offline JazJon

• View Profile
Interesting, the fix worked for me when I have the 5-bay connected to my HP EX495 eSATA port. (which supports port multiplier naively) 

I'm about to use the R622 card in my living room HTPC and hook up TWO of the Sans Digital 5-bay boxes in the next day or two.

I'm scared that it won't be reliable now that you chimed in.

What card did you pick?   Can you confirm that it passes SMART data along ok?

So far the only eSata card I can find that says it will pass along SMART data is this one. (but it's PRICEY!)
http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-e6g/

If it's going to be an issue I'd rather buy a new card as well to be stable long term.

Offline craigap

• View Profile
Here's the card I bought. A little slow but suffices for my needs. 
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040702&p_id=3581&seq=1&format=2

I ended up returning  the sans digital 5 bay enclosure/RR622 card bundle and got 2 of the 4 bay ones that don't come bundled with a RR622 card. I'll have to look when I get home if I am getting smart data passed through or not. Will try to follow up tomorrow for you.

Offline JazJon

• View Profile
Interesting, well I've already mod my two 5-bays with nearly dead silent quiet fans  and want to support 10 drives so will keep them. (Replaced both power supply and case fans)

I googled sil3132 smart and it says it doesn't support smart.

I've had smart warning save my ass in the past on several drives (replacing them right before they failed totally) so smart pass through is must for me.

I should have the cable I need from Amazon tomorrow and can finally hook them to my htpc tomorrow.  I'll follow up to confirm of my system is stable via RR622 card in my shuttle pc.

Offline craigap

• View Profile
I can confirm no smart data comes through.

Offline kamcm

• View Profile
I had the same problems as you . Turn off "Link State Power Management" didn't works for me.

Since I had already replaced all of the PSU come with the enclosure so I am sure the problem had nothing to do with PSU.
At first, I guess it’s due to bad esata cable so I spent $60 USD to purchase different brand esata cable , including C2G, startech.
However, the problems remain the same. I think it’s likely there’s a compatible issue between controller chipset. So I spent another $200 USD to purchase different esata controller card using different chipsets, including Marvell, silicon Image, Asmedia, Jmicron. I bought all of them and test them all one by one but none of them can fix the problems.

I am glad to tell you I finally found the root caused and get them fixed.

You can simple Google "Ultimate fix for Sansdigital TowerRAID Enclosure" for the solution and I had explain the root cause in details.

Direct Link: http://kamserver.com/2018/04/24/ultimate-fix-for-sansdigital-towerraid-enclosure/