Author Topic: SMART Attributes not showing for 1 out of 5 (identical) drives in same enclosure  (Read 2142 times)

Offline sireddie

• View Profile
I have 5 x 2TB drives (SAMSUNG HD203WI) in one Lian Li EX-503 enclosure which is connected via USB3 (NEC chip on a PCI-Express controller card). All the drives show SMART information in the Overview tab, but one of the drives doesn't show anything in the S.M.A.R.T Attributes tab.

This drive is also missing the LU WWN Device Id entry in the Overview tab.

All drives are configured in the Device Type Mapping section in a similar fashion:
C:\Mount\PARITY_01=usbjmicron

I have the following setup:
2.0u8r2 final [Snapshot 1.4 stable / Storage Pool 1.0 RC / Real-Time 1.0 experimental]
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Any ideas?

Offline JazJon

• View Profile
I think we need to find a better SMART capable eSata port multiplier controller.  I just posted a similar question.

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,997.0.html

I found one card that looks good so far. (see last link in post above)

Offline sireddie

• View Profile
The USB3 card/case works fine in getting SMART data off the all of the drives (working using other SMART monitoring tools), but for some reason one of the drives doesn't show the SMART attributes, so no need to replace the card/case.

Offline JazJon

• View Profile
On some cards, you have to flash the bios to be NON-RAID and then install the Non-Raid driver as well.
(like the R622 HighPoint card that comes with the Sans Digital)

Do you have anything like that? (or can you enable JBOD mode etc?)

I read that the R622 HighPoint card will not pass along SMART when in Raid mode.   (even though you can still access the drives individually in windows still in this mode)

I think in my research I read about some other people only seeing one of five drives reporting SMART.  (and it had nothing to do with FlexRaid)

Offline sireddie

• View Profile
I have tested running a report straight in smartctl, and it seems to be an issue with smartctl and not FlexRAID.

The "bad" drive is showing ATA version 7 as opposed to 8 for the other drives, and the firmware version as 0957 as opposed to 1AN10002 for the other drives.

Will have to check if this is a known issue with smartctl or if I need to upgrade the FW on the drive or something.

I have tested reading SMART data off the "bad" drive using speedfan, and now I cannot read the smart data anymore. I'm now wondering if I might have been misstaken and that SMART data was never available for this drive.

Offline sireddie

• View Profile
Did some more testing, swapped drives around, bypassed the USB3 card etc. and it turns out that the hard drive in the first occupied slot in the USB3 case (Lian Li EX-503) will not report SMART data properly.

I will bring log a support case with Lian Li and see what they say (if they respond).

I don't care that much about the SMART data, but I believe that this problem might prevent the drive from spinning down. Further testing will have to be done to confirm this.

Offline 0pTicaL

• View Profile
Sorry for the thread necro, but I have the exact same issue. I have a mix batch of drives in my Lian Li EX-503, and the first drive never shows SMART attributes. I tried removing all the drives but one and that drive does not show SMART attributes. I'm guessing it has something to do with Lian Li's choice in controllers or is this how port multiplier works? that the first or only drive in the enclosure will not show SMART attributes?