Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
so i've looked more into my errors, here's some more info, please help me if it sounds like something you know about...

i was looking into if the cables, or hardware was a problem.  I switched some cables around.  It didn't seem like cables were an issue.
One thing I noticed was that by WD black 2TB drives were the ones giving me errors regardless of the cables, and even when i replaced it with a new one same model.  SO next thing i will try is replacing those drives with a hitachi and see if that gets rid of some of the issues.

The other set of issues i noticed were coming from the motherboards sata attached drives.  most of the drives are attached by sas cables and breakouts.  but 4 of them are direct to mobo sata connected, and they all give 153 errors.  could it be a mobo driver issue or something like that?  it's a supermicro x10sat motherboard.  the rest of the drives are attached to m1015, and other than the WD black drives, they don't seem to have problems.
Plugins, Client Development, & Translations / Re: German
« Last post by b-earl on July 23, 2017, 02:33:46 am »
Brahim tell me if you restart the translation initiative since I would have time now to assist in German and Swedish.
News and Updates / Re: Transparent RAID (tRAID) Version 1.1 Preview release
« Last post by b-earl on July 23, 2017, 02:22:37 am »
Thanks for a new preview Brahim!
Trying out on my new installed Windows Server 2016 with bitlocker on the data drives. At the moment the array is initializing. Will get back if something is strange.
Storage Pooling / Write-Protected files in Storage Pool
« Last post by Creibold on July 22, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »
Hello all,

New User here - T-Raid has been a great asset to me in building a new movie server for all my blurays to use with Plex. However, I have now encountered a weird issue. My trial ran out, so I went to the website in order to purchase a copy (which I did). I understand the activation code may take up to 48 hours to work, so I have my trial extended using the transaction code.

Now all my files are write-protected, and can be read by plex, but not edited.

Even for a simple file rename I receive the following: This disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection, or use another disk

The server is running Windows 10 Pro, version 1703. OS build 15063.483

has anyone run into this before?

General Discussion / Re: What is this Error Code? (-1117)
« Last post by omniphil on July 21, 2017, 07:55:31 pm »
You are terribly confused. No RAID on earth will fix your hardware issues. The very foundation of a good RAID system is stable hardware. RAID is solely for the eventual disk failure.

Thank you for your opinion, but that is clearly not the case here as I am having no such problems with either my Synology raid or Storage Spaces raid when it comes to dealing with bad sectors/bad reads. Large raids have a pretty high occurrence of a bad read happening just due to the math involved even on brand new equipment.

I don't expect RAID to fix my hardware, I however do expect it to keep working around read errors. That is exactly what the parity is for...

Here are two quotes right from Wikipedia...

"While most RAID levels can provide good protection against and recovery from hardware defects or defective sectors/read errors (hard errors), they do not provide any protection against data loss due to catastrophic failures...."

"RAID levels greater than RAID 0 provide protection against unrecoverable sector read errors, as well as against failures of whole physical drives."

RAID is not solely for the eventual disk failure. You might be the one who is confused....
Snapshot RAID / Re: Unfit for Purpose
« Last post by kracazol on July 21, 2017, 03:32:35 pm »
I hope this is what you are after

« Last post by Brahim on July 20, 2017, 10:10:40 pm »
Thank you for your reply

1) Im not sure what info you are requesting, it is a snapshot raid with 5 DRU's and 1 PPU
Screenshots of your configuration.
General Discussion / Re: tRAID ErrorCode=31 a device attached to the system...
« Last post by Brahim on July 20, 2017, 10:09:39 pm »
This is a known issue and it is fixed for the next release.
General Discussion / Re: What is this Error Code? (-1117)
« Last post by Brahim on July 20, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
That is why I am using a RAID. If all of my storage hardware was perfect I wouldn't need redundancy.  ...

You are terribly confused. No RAID on earth will fix your hardware issues. The very foundation of a good RAID system is stable hardware. RAID is solely for the eventual disk failure.
« Last post by kracazol on July 20, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
Thank you for your reply

1) Im not sure what info you are requesting, it is a snapshot raid with 5 DRU's and 1 PPU

2) there is no such folder

3) there is no such folder

The SMART is configured to check sleeping disks, not that this is particularly relevant, my main concern is that the loss of a disk went unreported.

I appreciate that you are trying to help and i would still like to get to the bottom of why flexraid failed, however i should mention that i have pretty much decided to move away from flexraid to something more robust. I have emailed the creator / vendor of flexraid and when they respond i will be asking for a refund based upon the failures i have detailed above, which having read the forums seem to be quite a common cause of complaint!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10