Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
tRAID Bug Reports / Re: All of a sudden: very slow copy speeds, slow verify sync
« Last post by pooler1 on February 09, 2019, 01:48:03 pm »
I guess if there is a "bug" in all this, its whatever happened when transferring files between the pools a lot.  I'd describe as the landing disk filled up or couldn't keep up or something like that.  And then the engine got confused as to what goes where.  NOw, sometimes when Im doing these kinds of transfers, I feel like I should do a transfer, wait for the queue to catch up, and then do it again.  But I would like to NOT factor or consider that.  I'd like to just transfer immediately and often without worry.
tRAID Bug Reports / Re: All of a sudden: very slow copy speeds, slow verify sync
« Last post by pooler1 on February 09, 2019, 01:33:11 pm »
ok thanks.  i may try without landing disk, i feel like the speeds should be ok.  Ill experiment.

But good news!
THe extended test found nothing.  I also did a verify sync yesterday and it was slow like 10 MB/s.  I cancelled it after about 10-20 hours.  Now, I just ran it again after rebooting and it is back up to 400 MB/s or so.  This has happened before, I dont get it.

But what really happened was this:
I was copying lots of files back and forth between two traid pools.  LIke 50GB every hour or so back and forth.
Then, something happened, and the transfers slowed to a crawl.
THe problem disk had some of those files I was transferring all screwed up.  It even transferred directly off the disk slowly.  WIndows detected a problem with the disk, and I repaired it with windows.  THen i ran the verify sync as described above.
There was actually two directories with the same exact name on the disk, that was odd.  I deleted one.

ANyway, looks like everything back to normal and once the verify sync is done, it will be ok.  THis is what I like about traid, despite some of the support complexities.  The data is always fine, its the configuration that I spend the time with.  THroughout this process, I wasn't that worried about losing files.  Just some of the technical features are hard for me to understand.
« Last post by Skirge01 on February 09, 2019, 09:44:02 am »
If the extended test finds something, the health will drop accordingly.  I've had that happen many times, often toward the very end of the test.

When you go through the performance guide, you'll see that Brahim talks about that dip in performance.  The goal is to get the benchmarks to be as level as possible throughout the entire process.  Playing with all those settings is how to attempt to achieve that.

What you described is how I understand landing disks to work, but, as I said, I've never used that feature.  I believe the idea is to have that speedy disk hold the data during busy times and then move the data to the proper, less speedy drive as there's less of a load on the array.
FlexRAID™ on Windows / Re: Flexraid F won't update. Java Out of memory error
« Last post by Skirge01 on February 09, 2019, 09:36:21 am »
Would you mind explaining how you figured this out?  Very glad you did, but it might help others if we knew how you were able to track this down.  Was it just something you saw in the RAID-F log files?
FlexRAID™ on Windows / Re: Flexraid F won't update. Java Out of memory error
« Last post by fcobos on February 08, 2019, 06:00:59 pm »
Replying to my own post, Is there anything more pathetic? I have FIXED my own problem, just wanted to givre some advice in case anyone runs into a similar situation.

My problem was that process flexraid.exe was "stuck" into une of my DRUs and started to progressively eat all the 12 GB of system RAM, after roughly 3 days the process would halt with an out of memory error in the log.

Now, I don´t know how I got into this in the first place but I assume it was some kind of power faliure or failed windows update but the culprit was a hidden directory called .@recycler$ that somehow became "unreadable" for the system, flexraid was stuck trying to read it and couldn´t get pass it. I couldn´t erase it so I moved all files from this disk to another disk, formatted the drive with the dreaded .@recycler$ folder and voila! Create is progressing as we speak and resource monitor shows that my PPU is being written to.

I still think support here is a little bit nonexistant and hope Brahim resurfaces from wherever he has been, I have little hope for the product tough and even less for the "One" project.

Regards from Mexico.
« Last post by pooler1 on February 08, 2019, 02:07:16 pm »
Before continuing to troubleshoot the array itself or the copying, I would strongly recommend performing an extended test on both the landing disk's drive and the disks you've been copying from/to.  Make sure those are fine before anything else because if the hardware's bad, nothing you do in tRAID is going to solve a thing and you're wasting your time.  Be aware the extended tests can take many hours on large drives.

Once you've got this issue resolved, I'd suggest reading over the performance tuning threads and tweak your settings, performing benchmarks after each change (don't change too much at once).  Personally, I've never set up a landing disk because my files are mostly huge multi-gig media files, so I felt that it might actually slow my array down.  If I did start using one, I'd likely exclude all my media files from using the landing disk.  For comparison, my Verify Syncs show a throughput into the 700MB/s range on a regular basis (see attachment).
OK I'm running the extended self test now.  It will take like 10 hours.  But the disk is 100% everything so far in HDS.

I've been through all the performance steps.  But I havent tested each setting as you say, i kind of just set them all at once i suppose.
I'll try not using a landing disk.  So is the landing disk like where if you do a file transfer, the files go there first as an intermediary and then go to the final destination?  ANyway, that definitely was the problem when i was transferring the files.  Ill have to try with and without.

Normally my verify syncs are int he 700 range also.  But I have had situations, like creating the pool the first time, where it starts off slow, then after then first time its back to fast speed.  I hope that is normal.
« Last post by Skirge01 on February 08, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »
Before continuing to troubleshoot the array itself or the copying, I would strongly recommend performing an extended test on both the landing disk's drive and the disks you've been copying from/to.  Make sure those are fine before anything else because if the hardware's bad, nothing you do in tRAID is going to solve a thing and you're wasting your time.  Be aware the extended tests can take many hours on large drives.

Once you've got this issue resolved, I'd suggest reading over the performance tuning threads and tweak your settings, performing benchmarks after each change (don't change too much at once).  Personally, I've never set up a landing disk because my files are mostly huge multi-gig media files, so I felt that it might actually slow my array down.  If I did start using one, I'd likely exclude all my media files from using the landing disk.  For comparison, my Verify Syncs show a throughput into the 700MB/s range on a regular basis (see attachment).
General Discussion / Re: IMPOSSIBLE TO GET LICENSE KEY!
« Last post by markvk42 on February 08, 2019, 04:48:11 am »
AHHHH I CCCCCC SO BASICALLY FLEX ARE TAKING PAYMENT WITHOUT ANY INTENTION OF PROVIDING THE PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN PAID FOR??? HOWS THAT WORK THEN???
so what everyone is saying is that flex are taking money with no intention of issuing the license key that we have paid for??? is that legal????
General Discussion / Re: How do I identify a UoR?
« Last post by pooler1 on February 07, 2019, 08:30:23 pm »
lol nice.  i did not know about that column feature.  LOL at it just saying if something is a ppu or not.  i can see why its hidden by default!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10